The Lighthouse Keeper

Greetings from Pastor Kerry, former pastor of Spring City UMC. This blog contains my sermon outlines and/or manuscripts from my pastorate among the people of Spring City PA, from 2006 to 2011. Pastor Dennis is now the lighthouse keeper. Come and worship on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.! www.springcityumc.org

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Jesus and Saul (Paul)

September 17, 2006
Conversations with Jesus that Led to Discipleship: Saul (Paul)
from Acts 9:1-9 and Matthew 25:31-48

"Jesus came that we may have life, and have it to the full." – John 10:10

Today was Health and Welfare Sunday

My sermon outline:

• Recap of September Series: Conversations with Jesus that Led to Discipleship. Nicodemus and being born from above, the Woman at the Well and living water, Saul on the road to Damascus, and Mary Magdalene after the Resurrection. What did Jesus say and what’s it to us?

• I got pulled over one time for doing a "rolling stop". Cop comes up and says "I got you for not stopping at that stop sign, sir. I'm gonna hafta write you up." Says I "I slowed down, there was no one around, what's the difference?" Cop asked me to get out of the car, and he starts beating me with his nightstick. "Stop, stop!" I cried. Says he "Do you want me to stop, or slow down?"

• Imagine the scene. Going down the road, on a business trip. God stops you with heavenly power. You fall to the ground (like Abraham. Like song) Why are you persecuting me?

• There are so many questions the Lord could ask any one of us that would bring us to our knees, face to the ground.
• Why do you hold grudges?
• Why are you doing this thing you think pleases Me when it is far from Me?
• Why are there hungry and naked and poor and imprisoned?
• Have you done enough for the least of these thy brethren, my children?


• When Paul talks about the experience he includes his question to the Lord: “What shall I do, Lord?” And when we ask this question, it’s good to to what the Lord says, instead of second-guessing. Saul did as God said.

What shall we do?
Love God, neighbor, least, lost, young, old... H&W
Leave life of sin (sins of commission, sins of omission)
Live life to My glory (honor God in word and deed...)

• Noteworthy things about this conversation:
• Change in Saul’s life comes about at Jesus’ initiation. Saul responded, but it was God’s idea to bring Saul to himself. Though all can take the blame for turning away from God, none can take the credit for turning back to God. That’s all God. Thanks be to God.

• Change is complete (do you want me to stop persecuting, or slow down?)

• You may not have a beesting / Damascus road experience, but if you are in Christ you can say “I have had a beginning. My relationship with God is personal. I love God and I will love others. I will leave my sins of commission and omission behind, and I will live my life for God’s glory. What shall I do, Lord?”


- Pastor Kerry
This Sunday: Cool and clear. 65 in worship. Health and Welfare Sunday. First day with the choir back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home