The Lighthouse Keeper

Greetings from Pastor Kerry, former pastor of Spring City UMC. This blog contains my sermon outlines and/or manuscripts from my pastorate among the people of Spring City PA, from 2006 to 2011. Pastor Dennis is now the lighthouse keeper. Come and worship on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.! www.springcityumc.org

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Facing Giants

June 21, 2009
Third Sunday after Pentecost

Father’s Day

Facing Giants
Mark 4:35-41 and 1 Samuel 17:1a, 4-11, 19-23, 32-49

David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword and spear and javelin; but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.”
– 1 Samuel 17:45

My sermon outline:

• What new can I tell you about the story of David and Goliath? Read it again.

David, a teenager, has a private audience with King Saul

Philistines we don’t know their history, but they’re mighty foes.

Goliath giant (9’6” maybe just 6’6”) champion, flashy armor, defies Israelites (seems pretty tame in his taunting, but apparently he was quite fearful)

David’s response (not fear, like others) but simply God will not be mocked. Just like that.

• What else can I tell you? About other giants.

• Annual conference was last week, and we heard reports of giants… legendary enemies that your church is facing… gun shop**, gambling & video poker, (70,000slots? stats show a job is lost for every slot machine)**, triple-headed giant of relevance, membership, finances/economy**.

** each case, United Methodists are doing three things: looking past the flashy armor and loud threats, taking steps to face giant, doing so trusting in God (and not in man). David knew that his victory belonged to God.

• additionally, David’s relationship with God was such that when Goliath did his schtick, David felt personally offended, which motivated him that much more. “Are you saying that you’re greater than my God? Nobody’s greater than my God.” & resolutely, w/o reserve or fear, David went forth.

• therein has been my problem… instead of facing SC UMC’s giants resolutely, w/o reserve or fear. w/o confidence that God will deliver. I’ve been more like David’s brothers that I care to admit... I see the flashy armor and hear the threats and I play it safe by toeing the line instead of facing the giant. I look at the giant of not having a children’s Sunday school teacher, and act as though that giant is gonna stand there and taunt me endlessly. I see a giant whose name is “you can’t pull off a VBS” and I look at my shoes instead of the emptiness of its threats and the fullness of the Pentecost power behind me.

Y’know, I desire to give glory to my God. Go down swinging, at least we’re swinging. No glory in looking at my shoes, amen? Willing to face my giants, by the grace of God.

• There is no giant that can defeat God… and David went forth confident that God would deliver unto him the one who opposed God’s chosen.

There is no foe or battle we face where God is not present.

There is no storm we weather without God,
no storm can’t be calmed by his command.

• And there is nothing that can separate us from God’s love.
If there is anyone who believes these last few statements... if there is anyone who will join me in desiring to do something to be more like David than David’s brothers, will you join me in this confession of faith as found on p. 887 of The United Methodist Hymnal (from Romans 8)


- Pastor Kerry

This Sunday: 57 in worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home