The Lighthouse Keeper

Greetings from Pastor Kerry, former pastor of Spring City UMC. This blog contains my sermon outlines and/or manuscripts from my pastorate among the people of Spring City PA, from 2006 to 2011. Pastor Dennis is now the lighthouse keeper. Come and worship on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.! www.springcityumc.org

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Laity Sunday

October 15, 2006
Hebrews 4:12-16 and Mark 10:17-31

"Come and listen, all you who fear God;
let me tell you what he has done for me." - Psalm 66:16

"May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you." - Psalm 67:3


My sermon outline:

Honoring Laity Sunday, rather than me preparing a monologue, I solicited and collected answers to the following questions.

• Why go to church?
• Why go to this church?
• What are your hopes for this church?


• Why go to church?
To have fellowship with other Christians
To celebrate with God, to honor Him
To do God’s will and spread His word
For God. To worship God in community.

To offer, serve, listen. To pray, support, learn.
To touch the world as I’ve been touched.

To bring healing and hope. To be a lighthouse.


• Why go to this church?
The people are loving and compassionate and have the Holy Spirit within
Friendship, family, believe in the ideals of this congregation
Warm, friendly, caring people, spiritual people
It saved my life... it reached out to me in my time of need

Location, tradition, family obligation.
The people, the spirit.

• What are your hopes for this church?
To grow
To feel the Spirit always.
To fill the buildings with all ages.
To grow, bring a sense of community, to share God’s love for us
To bring glory to God in all we do.

To be the church that the community says “that church helped me. That church showed me something new. That church brought life back to Spring City. That church brought life back to me.”


Vision statement, Spring City UMC:
To grow a Christian Congregation where faith is taught and lived, where the visitor is welcomed and friends are made. A place where music fills the air with joy and we can seek communion with God to find peace and forgiveness.

Mission statement, Spring City UMC:
Inviting all people to God's family, learning and growing together in faith for ministry to God's children.


- Pastor Kerry
This Sunday: Chilly and clear. 63 in worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home