The Lighthouse Keeper

Greetings from Pastor Kerry, former pastor of Spring City UMC. This blog contains my sermon outlines and/or manuscripts from my pastorate among the people of Spring City PA, from 2006 to 2011. Pastor Dennis is now the lighthouse keeper. Come and worship on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.! www.springcityumc.org

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Glorifying God

May 2, 2010
Fifth Sunday after Easter


Glorifying God
John 13:31-35

“By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
– John 13:35

My sermon outline:

• What is glorify?
Example: Hannah Montana tv episode. Jackson (19 years old, older brother to Miley) wants to go out to a party past curfew. Father (Robby Ray) knows Jackson has lost cell phone. Eventually gives permission. Jackson doesn’t go, and fesses up that he lost his phone. “What kind of father are you?” “A proud one. You told the truth, and you didn’t have to!” Glory.

• Our choices to live lovingly & in obedience is glorifying to God.

- The Good Samaritan acted lovingly, went out of way to show humankindness to person in need. Does your love of God motivate you to go out of your way to glorify God through your actions?

- John 21: 18-19 I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.” (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.)

Peter’s humility and obedience unto death (sound like Jesus?) glorified God. Rather than saying I don’t know the man and save his skin, he said I will answer to God not to man, & if people will kill me for it they will kill me for it.

Sometimes love will take you where you do not want to go.
Jesus didn’t want to suffer, but he chose to say yes to God. Glory to God.

Christ condescended to human cruelty in order that humanity might begin to comprehend God’s love... Christ came into the world to reveal more fully the loving nature of God. And in this, God is glorified. I know I’m gonna go in there, and eventually they’ll kill me, but I’ma go in there anyway so I can save some.

• Ajax commercial (Ajax was here... and they’ll know we are Christians by our love).

In Christ and through Christ-like humility and obedience God is glorified and makes things new.

• Hymn 620 One bread, One body


- Pastor Kerry

This Sunday: 57 in worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home