The Lighthouse Keeper

Greetings from Pastor Kerry, former pastor of Spring City UMC. This blog contains my sermon outlines and/or manuscripts from my pastorate among the people of Spring City PA, from 2006 to 2011. Pastor Dennis is now the lighthouse keeper. Come and worship on Sundays at 10:00 a.m.! www.springcityumc.org

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Am Resting All My Weight Here

June 13, 2010
Third Sunday after Pentecost


I Am Resting All My Weight Here
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live,
but it is Christ who lives in me.
- from Galatians 2:19-20


My sermon outline:

• recap... last week, SCUMC proclamation of gospel of God’s gift of justification via Christ’s faith, plus God’s power to transform.

• This week: Paul’s context... no need (or stronger!) to compel non-Jewish followers of Christ to follow Jewish customs & laws...
Rather, faith in Jesus Christ, who lives in me.

• Church membership, couple times a year, next time is next month. What does it involve (declare identity... I belong to God) (prayers presence gifts service witness). Why join a church. (receive)

No need to join church AND make separate commitment to Christ, since c to C is already part of joining church.

Galatians 2: like dialysis (law. Do this and live.) ... But after a kidney transplant, no need to compel dialysis.

• A missionary was living among the people and translating the Bible to them but could find no word in their language for “believe.”
One day a runner arrived exhausted from another village with an important message. After delivering the message the runner collapsed into a hammock and uttered a single word, which the missionary did not understand.
“What did he say?” asked the missionary.
“He said, ‘I am resting all my weight here,’” he was told.
“That is the word for ‘believe’.”

Believing is simply casting one’s self unreservedly into the open arms of the Lord Jesus and saying, “Lord, on Thee I rest my soul for eternity. I am trusting Thee to hold me up and to keep me safe and secure forever! I am depending on You and on You alone to save me! I am resting all my weight upon who you are, and what you have done and what you have said.”

• Hymn 356 When We Are Living (We Belong to God)


- Pastor Kerry

This Sunday: 62 in worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home